Author: Brett Douglas
Welcome back, Brett Douglas here Master Coach here to speak on the importance of fats, and why we should eat them and what they do for our bodies. If you remember in the 90’s fats got all the bad rap about being unhealthy, and how we should stay away from them. Science has evolved and we now know it’s trans fats that we need to minimize within our diet, healthy fats such as saturated fats (think solid fats, like butter) and unsaturated fats (think liquid fats, like canola and olive oil) are good for us. In fact, saturated and unsaturated fats should make up 25-35% of our diet. Now why is that, well for a bunch of reasons i’ll list below:
- Healthy fats are great for your skin, hair and nails.
- Healthy fat are excellent for brain, heart, and nerve function.
- Healthy fats are the best source of energy for your body.
- Healthy fats are the WD-40 of your joints, helps joint lubrication.
- Healthy fats help notify your body to release the extra fat that you carry, aids in fat loss.
Piggy backing of health benefit 5, its true eating fat (healthy ones) will not make you fat. They do carry more calories per gram than protein or carbs however if you eat the right amount of grams of fat per day, it typically allows your body to release unwanted fat because your body recognizes that you feed it enough fats as is and it can release it’s fat storage. Pretty cool stuff!
So hopefully you gained a new found appreciation for fats and if you had any fear about eating fat, that you now know fat are your friend. Thanks for reading and I’ll leave you with top 7 fats you can start eating today!
- Peanut Butter (All Natural)
- Oils (Canola,Coconut)
- Flax Seeds
- Nuts (Almonds, Walnuts)